Home » All about me » English 110- Spring '22 » Inquiry Based Research Essay: Genre #4

Inquiry Based Research Essay: Genre #4

With time and effort comes progress. This is something that is taught and repeated throughout a person’s life. This also applies to those in school or attempting to pick up a new hobby. This same motto (or idea) can be applied to this ENGL 110 class.

As we have had multiple assignments to complete, both big and small, we have also had to strengthen our writing abilities. At first, it was a struggle moving on from the way I was taught to write in middle school and high school. Throughout those years I wrote many essays, but they were mostly conversational and from my perspective. There is nothing wrong with a piece that is conversational and from one person’s perspective; but when one wants to write a research-based essay this isn’t a feature that should be included. Instead, it should be professional, and one should learn how to remove themselves from the equation while also informing readers of their stance: this is what I learned. Another thing that was brought to my attention that has made me a better writer is knowing how to formulate a specific research question that isn’t to narrow or broad. Both can be a problem. These are still things that I’m working on, but there has been a change.

Moving on to our latest assignment, The Inquiry-Based Research Essay, I have also been able to incorporate these new points that I learned into this essay. My research question prior to this assignment was very specific. It focused on the disparity in ADHD diagnosis when it came to gender due to gender bias. This topic had a very specific audience (men and women who have been diagnosed early in life, men and women that have been diagnosed late in life, doctors) and focus that didn’t have many resources to the point of which I could also use the same research question in another research-based essay. This is why I decided to broaden my topic to disparity in medical diagnosis. With this focus I can include at least 2 of the main reasonings for disparity with room to include more reasonings with plenty of resources available. Now that my question has been broadened so has my audience. I can now have people from different races, genders, doctors, those who have been diagnosed late or early in life with any disease, doctors. The difference now is that this topic is not just available to those diagnosed with ADHD but those diagnosed with any of the diseases known to man. These new methods and their impact will hopefully be shown in the Inquiry-based Research Essay that has been assigned.